Without even knowing it, when we start working toward a goal of fat loss or weight loss we often do things to sabotage our success. We think we are doing the right things, but in reality we are putting our bodies in a place where it will refuse to do what we want. This leads to feelings of frustration and defeat because we aren't getting results. We aren't seeing a change and often times we don't know why.
Three common things women and men do that sabotages weight/fat loss:
- Reduce calories - We start under-eating. We starve ourselves and eliminate certain food groups. We label certain foods as bad and avoid eating them. We think we are going to lose fat/weight, but in reality our body gets stressed and stops burning fat. Instead, when we severely restrict calories, our bodies will hold onto fat for survival.
- Over exercise - We start to exercise too much and at a high intensity. We pile on the minutes and hours spent at the gym or running. We track those calories burned obsessively and even double up on workouts to reach a specific high target number. Exercising too much only stresses the body and prevents it from doing what we want -> burn fat/lose weight.
- Wrong mindset - We often start our journey off great but then can’t follow through because we have the wrong mindset. It becomes all or nothing, good versus bad, on versus off. When we look at our journey this way, it often leads to failure because we are being too hard on ourselves.
To turn the sabotage into success you have to do three things:
- Eat enough - Eat enough of the right foods to fuel your body properly. Each of us has to find out what that amount is and make sure that we are hitting our goals. When we do that, our daily movement creates a natural deficit. This is a healthy deficit because the body is fueled but burning fat stores for movement and any exercise that we do.
- Exercise right - When we get in 30 minutes of exercise a day and when we get a variety: cardio, strength training, and low intensity, our bodies will burn fat, build muscle and not be in a state of stress. Our body will be happy to burn fat and let go of the weight.
- Positive mindset - Fat/weight loss is a process. It won’t be perfect. We have to focus on what we do well and set a goal to do the rest better tomorrow. Having a positive mindset that allows us to embrace the struggles and celebrate the wins helps us to sustain our journey. We are more likely to follow through than when we have an all or nothing mindset.
My mission is to help women and men who are feeling frustrated because they are not getting results from deprivation diets and working out all the time. I want to show women and men that there is a better way, a sustainable way.
As a FASTer Way to Fat Loss coach, I teach my clients fat loss strategies that are sustainable because they eat enough, they exercise the right amount and the celebrate the process.
You can join my next round on August 19 and end your frustration too. Use this link to register or to learn more about the FASTer Way to Fat Loss program.
Now is the time to get started with a new routine and build healthy habits that work!
I hope you’ll join me!