One thing I will remember about 2020 is that for the first time in my life, I had to quarantine. Whether you have to do it as part of a community order, travel or because you are sick, most of us will experience the Big Q (as one of my client's calls it) at least once.
I recently returned home to Hawaii after attending my stepdaughter's wedding and had to quarantine for 10 days (because as a resident, I chose not to get a test) -> which is a lot better than the 14 days I did in August or the 21 days my friends are doing in Hong Kong!! No matter how long it is, it's a disruption to our normal routine.
Sticking with healthy habits during quarantine might be the LAST thing you want to do if you're angry about the situation, but it can also be a great time to FOCUS on those habits. Here are a few tips for how to stay on track during your Big Q:
1. Stick to your normal eating schedule - this is going to keep you satiated and prevent binge eating.
2. Stock up on healthy foods - Here is a list of foods that are helpful if you are confined to a hotel for your quarantine:
Protein powder (my favorite is Nuzest)
Lean protein jerky
Deli meat and leafy greens
Cold pressed juices
3. Plan delivery for your main meals if you can't cook for yourself
4. Stay hydrated - drink at least half your body weight in ounces, but aim for more if you are also exercising during your quarantine.
5. Exercise - get in some form of movement every day. Do a daily workout, get up and walk around every hour to get as many steps as you can, stretch, do some yoga.
The important thing to remember is that even if YOU are in quarantine, your health is NOT in quarantine. You can stick to healthy eating and exercise. It might not be as fun or as easy, but you can do it!
Tell me: have you had to quarantine? How did it go?