Low carb diets are a strategic way to teach our bodies to burn stored fat. When consuming fewer grams of carbs throughout the day, our bodies deplete of glycogen and reach to stored fat for energy.
Most people starting a low carb diet for the first time will struggle in the beginning and sometimes feel withdrawal like symptoms (headache, puffiness), especially if they are coming from a high carb, high processed food diet. This is caused by the transition our bodies go through while going from a sugar burner to a fat burner and adjusting to a new eating cycle.
Here are some tips for a successful low carb day:
1. Plan your meals - If you have an idea of what you are going to eat throughout the day, go ahead and log it into My Fitness Pal and check your nutrient goals. This is a great way to make sure you don't exceed your carb intake goal and lets you see where you need to make adjustments.
2. Have low carb snacks ready - Snacks are often the culprit when exceeding low carb goals. Plan your low carb snacks and have them on hand so you don't have to think about it. Nuts, raw veggies, jerky, even a protein shake are great low carb snack ideas.
3. Drink plenty of water - Avoid carb loaded drinks and instead drink lots of water. Staying hydrated will prevent cravings and help flush the body as it processes all the protein and healthy fats you are consuming during your eating window.
4. Vary your foods - It's good to have go-to protein choices, but keep it interesting by mixing in different proteins. Instead of always going for the chicken recipes, try fish, sausage, pork. Also, try preparing foods in new ways, like mashed or riced cauliflower!
5. Consume healthy fats - Healthy fats like fish, nuts, avocado, oils, will help you feel full and will help you reach your calorie goal for the day. Healthy fats have more calories per gram than protein and carbs.
Consuming an intentional low carb diet will help turn our bodies into fat burning machines. In the FASTer Way to Fat Loss® program we cycle low carb days and regular carb days. Click here to learn more about my bootcamps and I will show you how to pair workouts with low carb days for optimal results!